How to migrate all distribution groups to Exchange Online ?
The main motivation of a migration from distribution groups to Office 365 (even in a Hybrid Scenario) is to outsource rights to new owners. It is modern that groups are managed by the organization and not the IT Department.
Do: Modify groups yourself via Outlook Online, myapps, or even in your Outlook client
- Create an export of the members & properties of your distribution group to be migrated. Via this script, for example.
- Whether you export them from your Active Directory or Office 365 doesn't really matter. You have the option of scripting in Exchange On-premise OR Exchange online .
- If you create the "new" groups in Office 365 you can work in transition with a prefix such as NEW_
- Then add all members in Exchange Online .
- You can also add the owners already.
- Now delete the old groups.
- Email addresses can be added only after you delete the old groups. Includes X500 addresses.
- That's it!
How can you delegate management?
Users can log on to https://myapps.microsoft.com
You can view the groups to which you belong here.
Open the group and add the desired members or groups.
Add the desired user.