💡 The 30 best Microsoft Teams features highlighted 💡
Getting to know all the Microsoft Teams functions is quite a challenge. That is why I created this article. If you are an avid Microsoft Teams user, this article is highly recommended.
In this blog, I have compiled the most frequently requested tips with video instructions that will help you get started productively with Microsoft Teams. If you have a good tip, please leave a comment at the bottom of the article.
1. Give chat conversations a matching group name
start a multi-person chat from the top bar in Microsoft Teams.
Change the group name by pressing the "group chat name" as shown in this video.
2. Forward e-mails to a team or channel
Click on More Options -> Select Retrieve Email Addresses to send emails to a Teams channel.
Use the e-mail address to send e-mails to this channel.
3. Communicate with everyone in your organisation
Microsoft Teams gives the possibility to create 5 organisation-wide Teams . These are groups to which all users automatically belong, i.e. are added.
4. Organise a public live event
Live Events is a function in Microsoft Teams that allows guests or non-Team users to participate.
There is an automatic recording of each live event. Start from Microsoft Teams calendar -> Press Live Event
Read this blog for more information.
Add a 2nd external or internal presenter or moderator on the right.
give the event a nice name
Copy the link and share it or send it in a calendar invitation.
Invite additional moderators or producers to the meeting.
You cannot add anyone else during the meeting.
5. Add tabs to centralise all applications in one panel
Add Office 365 but also add third-party solutions in a tab so that it is visible to everyone. One hub to work together.
6. Send important announcements to everyone in your organisation
Tag @teamchannel to reach everyone in one team.
7. Highlighting important messages
This Microsoft Teams tips & tricks is a great new feature.
Press: Mark as important at the bottom of a Teams post.
8. Create a private channel to share sensitive data with colleagues
9. Share chat history with colleagues or members of your organisation
You decide who can view the "historical data" or history of a chat dialogue.
10. Install Teams on your mobile devices such as: Android, iOS, Windows 10 or MacOX
Install Microsoft Teams on your computer: How to download and install Microsoft Teams ? MAC + Windows!
11. Whoops! Pressed enter too quickly in a chat or comment? Quickly edit the text ⬆️⬆️
Press 2 up arrows to edit the previous message in the chat. ⬆️⬆️
12. See one overview of all planner tasks from all Microsoft Teams
Everyone has several Microsoft-Teams...
13. Adding your favourite contacts so that they are at the top
Add to favourite contacts! Favourites are always automatically placed at the top.
Delete your favourite contacts on participants.
14. Searching Microsoft Teams like an expert
Searching Teams is easy, if you know how! -> Press what you are looking for in the search bar at the top and work with the filters to search more specifically. Also readthis blog about search commands.
15. Pinning an application in Micorosoft Teams
Press on the 3 dots in the left bar at Teams. -> Find the desired application. -> After adding it, the application will automatically appear in Teams . -> Pin your tasks via this tip.
16. How to create a default private team in Microsoft Teams?
17. Creating a read-only folder in Microsoft Teams
Guests can often do as much as a Team member. To protect this, you can disable document placement by creating a read-only folder.
18. Deleting yourself in another Microsoft Teams organisation
Are you in a different Teams customer organisation and want to delete yourself? Tip: Delete yourself (as a guest) in another Microsoft Teams organisation or tenant
19. Mirroring your live image in Microsoft Teams
Mirroring yourself is a new feature that came out in November 2021.
20. Restrict guest rights in Microsoft Teams
21. Changing the name of a channel in Microsoft Teams
You can rename a Microsoft Teams channel by right-clicking on it - "edit this channel".
22. Duplicating or copying a Microsoft Team from an existing Team
23. Build your own test environment to try out Microsoft Teams functionalities
Some tests cannot be done on your current environment. If you want to test well, it is best to create your own tenant. Creating a testtenant is free. Microsoft 365 licenses you have to buy yourself. I recommend to build a tenant with a 30 days trial license.
24. Sharing e-mails from Outlook to Microsoft Teams
Send a copy of any e-mail messages or conversations, including attachments, to Teams-Chats and channels or start a Teams chat related to a specific e-mail message.
25. Automatically record all Microsoft Teams meetings before they start
You can activate recording of meetings in the Team settings of the meeting before it starts.
26. Share a PowerPoint in presentation form in Microsoft Teams
Stop sharing your full screen -> Start sharing only the presentation!
27. Change the default settings when opening Office files in Microsoft Teams ?
If you want every file to be opened in the desktop app by default, change these settings to Desktop-App. This setting is especially necessary for users without the latest version of Office 365 Apps.
28. Communicating with external users in Microsoft Teams
Remote access is the basis of collaboration between colleagues and other companies. The most commonly used scenarios are:
- Direct 1-1 chat
- Share a Microsoft team with guest access
- A group chat with internal and external contacts
- Set up a meeting and keep the chat open
- A meeting with nonTeams users
29. Enable Together Mode in Microsoft Teams
Togethermode is a new meeting experience that you can turn on to use features such as:
- Multiple Teams screens
- Make video calls with 49 people simultaneously
- The new focus mode and gallery mode.
30. Technical activation of Microsoft Teams for each organisation
Through 5 steps you can set up Microsoft Teams so that your organisation can start using it.
- Sync all identities from Active Directory to Azure AD.
- Create your own Office 365 tenant .
- Issue licences to all users.
- Migrate the necessary documents.
- Get the basics right and give the users the necessary training.
Other great Microsoft Teams blogs:
These are the 10 success factors when setting up Microsoft Teams
100+ Cool Microsoft Teams backgrounds
Tutorial: How to create and manage Microsoft Teams via PowerShell?
How to block the creation of new Teams - Powershell tip!
How to prevent users from deleting channels, tabs & apps in Teams
What can team owners, members and guests do in Microsoft Teams?
Medium: The best Microsoft Teams features: 16 tips to get started in 2022!