Top 10 Excel tips everyone should know
Increase your productivity with these handy tricks for Excel
Microsoft Excel is a powerful tool used in almost every industry. It offers countless ways to analyze, organize and present data. Whether you are a beginner or a seasoned Excel user, these top 10 Excel tips will help you increase your productivity and get more out of this versatile program .
1. Tables and filters
Learn how to create tables and filter data to quickly find relevant information. Select your data and press Ctrl+T to create a table. Then use the filter options in the table headers to display the data you want.
2. Conditional formatting
Conditional formatting is an excellent way to understand your data by visually distinguishing cells based on criteria. Go to the Home tab, select Conditional Formatting and choose the desired rules to better understand your data.
3. Data validation
Use data validation to limit cell entries and prevent errors. Right-click on a cell, choose Data Validation, and set the desired criteria.
4. Nested formulas and functions.
Combine several functions into one formula to perform complex calculations. For example, learn how to use the functions ALS(), VERT.SEARCH() and INDEX() together to create powerful nested formulas.
5. Split and merge cells
Split text into multiple cells using the Text to Columns function or merge text from different cells using the "&" or CONCATEN() function.
6. Pivot tables
Pivot tables are a powerful tool for quickly analyzing and listing data. Select your data, go to the Insert tab and click on Pivot Table to get started.
7. Quick graphing
Use the Alt+F1 keyboard shortcut to instantly create a graph based on the selected data. Customize the graph by changing the type, formatting and legend.
8. Absolute and relative cell references.
Learn the difference between absolute ($A$1) and relative (A1) cell references to use formulas and functions more efficiently.
9. References to other worksheets and files
Use formulas to retrieve data from other worksheets and files using the syntax 'Sheet name'!Cell reference or [File name.xlsx]Sheet name'!Cell reference.
10. Macros and VBA
Automate repetitive tasks and customize Excel to your specific needs using macros and Visual Basic for Applications (VBA). Learn how to use the recording capability of macros to capture and automate simple processes, or dive deeper into VBA coding to make advanced customizations.
By mastering these top 10 Excel tips, you can significantly increase your productivity and get more out of this versatile program . Whether you are a novice looking to learn the basics or a seasoned professional looking to hone your skills, these tips and tricks will help you work more efficiently with Microsoft Excel.
To further develop your Excel skills, there are numerous online resources available, including:
- ExcelJet(https://exceljet.net/): A comprehensive website with numerous tips, tricks and tutorials.
- Chandoo.org(https://chandoo.org/): A blog dedicated to Excel with extensive articles, examples and videos.
- Contextures(https://www.contextures.com/): A website with tutorials, templates and tips to improve your Excel skills.
- Microsoft Excel Help Center(https://support.microsoft.com/nl-nl/excel): Official support and documentation from Microsoft, including manuals and frequently asked questions.
- YouTube channels: There are many YouTube channels dedicated to Excel tutorials, such as ExcelIsFun, Leila Gharani, and MyOnlineTrainingHub.
Spend time exploring these resources and practice regularly to improve your skills and become an Excel expert.