How to automatically add Microsoft 365 licenses to Azure AD groups. Dynamically, statically or with Security groups
Personas, Scenarios and groups that summarize users are important factors in simplifying IT management. If you as an organization manage to simplify accesses to a few collections then you can take the complexity out of your organization. This allows your IT organization to implement various new things within Microsoft 365 or Azure faster.
In this blog you will read how to add licenses to one group within Azure AD. In this group, members can be added who will automatically get the right Microsoft 365 license through this way. This feature gives the advantage that you do not have to add the license yourself later via PowerShell or through the Office 365 administrator panel.
Login to your azure portal
- Login to the Azure Portal at: https://portal.azure.com
Navigate to Azure Active Directory
Go to Azure Active Directory in the Azure portal.
- On the left side , click Groups. (You can create Dynamic or Static groups.)
- In this case, we create a static group.
- Add members "manually" to this group.
- Click create at the bottom to create the group.
Add licenses to an administrative staff group
- On the left side , click Licenses.
- Select update license assignments
- Choose "Select Licenses" and choose your license.
- Click save
Licenses are now added to this created group
- From now on, all members of this particular group will automatically receive a Microsoft 365 Business license when they are added.