Why choose a Exchange Hybrid?
Why a Exchange Hybrid?
- A Hybrid Exchange environment allows you to take your local environment and the cloud environment together as a single mail organisation.
- This is practical because the management is on-premise (Active Directory) and the mailbox management can easily be done via a hybrid environment towards Office 365 Exchange Online.
- Hybrid = Recipient management on-premise, ACL (rights) on-line.
The main advantages of a Hybrid Exchange
- Hybrid exchange enables secure email routing between your local and Exchange Online organisations. This is not easy with an SMTP gateway.
- Administrators can use powerful and familiar Exchange management tools to move users to Exchange Online and manage users.
- Printers using the Exchange environment today continue to relay in exactly the same way as before.
- Hybrid Exchange is a requirement to migrate as easily as possible without user impact and reconfiguration of each device. With a hybrid migration, only a username & password need be entered after the mailbox move.
Why not choose a hybrid Exchange?
- If you want to migrate quickly to Exchange Online .
- If Security is highly regarded in your organisation.
- If you have no knowledge of Exchange.
Don't you want a Hybrid Exchange?
1. Adjust your mail flow
- Migrate all mail flow from on-premise to Office 365. So all scanners, copiers, applications dedicated to Office 365.
2. Send your mail via SMTP authentication (recommended)
- You want to send email from a third-party hosted application, service or device.
- You want to send e-mail to people inside and outside your organisation.
- Let your device authenticate directly to the Office 365 mailbox and send out your mails via SMTP auth submission.
- Benefit: Total control of the mail flow & insight into the mailbox.
- Disadvantage: There is a licence for each user mailbox.
|Application or printer settings||Value|
|Port||Port 587 (recommended) or port 25|
|E-mail address and password||use your mailbox login|
There are also 2 other methods, which are only recommended if the above options are not sufficient.
- Option 2: Send your mails directly to O365 over port 25.
- It is best to take this option only if option 1 is not possible.
- Option 3: Configure a connector to send mail to Office 365. (relay)
- It is best to take this option only if options 1 and 2 are not possible.
- Technical content & configuration can be read here!
3. Decrease your Hybrid Exchange
- Remove the roles from your Exchange servers so that there are no longer any active roles.
- Remember that if you just break down your Exchange and use Azure AD connect in Hybrid Mode you always have to manually put e-mail addresses, policies, and so on on the AD objects. This takes a lot more time and does not guarantee typing errors, etc.
- Be sure to read https://365tips.be/2020/02/16/waarom-kiezen-voor-een-exchange-hybrid
4. Recommended Exchange Hybrid only management, no hybrid mailflow.
- If you still want to do the administration, you can install a Exchange 2016 server with a free licence. (For Exchange)
- The key can be obtained at: https://aka.ms/hybridkey
- Unfortunately, this is not (yet) the case for Exchange 2019. It is 2016.