🙋 Can you change a Microsoft Teams channel from public to private or vice versa?
Unfortunately, it is not possible to convert an existing public Microsoft Teams channel into a private channel. An alternative is to delete the public channel and then create a new private channel with the same name and members. This can be done by following the following steps:
- Click on the three dots next to the channel and select "Delete Channel" from the dropdown menu.
- Confirm that you want to delete the channel.
- Click the plus icon next to "Channels" in the left menu and select "Create New Channel" from the dropdown menu.
- Enter the name and description of the new channel and select "Private" from the dropdown menu next to "Channel Type."
- Add the members of the original channel to the new private channel.
- Click "Create Channel" to create the new private channel.
Note: If you delete the original channel, all existing messages, files and other content will be lost. Be sure to back up all important information before deleting the original channel.
The advice for choosing between a public, private or public channel?
It is important to think carefully before creating a public, private or public channel in Microsoft Teams, because each type of channel has its own specific goals and usage scenarios.
Public channels are intended for groups of people who do not necessarily work in the same organization, such as customers or partners. They are public and accessible to anyone invited to join the channel.
Private channels are intended for small groups of people working together on a specific project or assignment. They are accessible only to the members of the channel and not to others.
Public channels are public channels created by an organization that anyone in the organization can join.
It is important to consider which type of channel is best suited to the needs of the group of people with whom you want to collaborate so that you can choose the right type of channel. For example, if you want to collaborate with people outside your organization, such as customers or partners, a public channel might be the best choice. However, if you want to collaborate with a small group of people within your organization on a specific project, a private channel might be a better idea.
Also read: Decision matrix between a public, private or organization-wide Microsoft Team